Local Clubs and Organizations
Note: Some of the following listings are from the old PetersburgIL.com site structure and may be obsolete. This page is currently being updated with new content, and soon will have a new look. Club officers: to edit or add a listing for your organization, send an email with listing details and contact information to email@example.com
Note: The * symbol next to an organizational name indicates a recently updated listing. Newly updated listings are curently being moved near the top of the page during the revision process, so the physical location of your entry within the list may change.
Vintage Ag. Association *
- The Vintage Ag. Association was formed at the Menard County Fair in July of 2001 to preserve our agricultural heritage through preservation, restoration, and education of vintage agricultural equipment.
- The club meets on the 3rd Thursday of every month (except August & December) at the Menard Electric Co-Op at 7:00 p.m. Other meetings are held during announced events throughout the year (tractor shows, parades, etc.).
- The membership is open to anyone in the state of Illinois, the only requirement is having a interest in vintage farm practices and agricultural equipment.
- Dues are $20 a year, which is a family membership.
- We will be opening up our new vintage ag museum in Petersburg in the coming months; stay tuned for updates.
- Anyone interested in joining may get more information at www.VintageAg.com, or by contacting Norm Claussen at 217-741-3531, by mail at PO Box 446, Petersburg, IL 62675
The Petersburg Rotary Club *
- Rotary is an organization of business and professional leaders united worldwide who provide humanitarian service, encourage high ethical standards in all vocations, and help build goodwill and peace in the world.
- The Rotary Sponsors Boy Scouts troop 54, Rotary Park, treats community octogenarians to an annual banquet and performs many other community functions.
- Anyone having questions, or wanting more infomation, should contact Norm Jones at 217 306 0802.
Town and Country Women's Club *
The Town and Country Women's Club is a social organization volunteering their time and resources, as well as social networking and interaction, amongst the Petersburg community.
- We welcome women of all ages and interests to participate.
- Please view the PDF file link for our calendar of upcoming events and community involvement throughout the year.
- To contact us directly please call Brandy Zanger at 632-4544.
Menard Rescue Squad *
The Menard County Rescue Squad is a non-profit organization that serves the citizens and visitors of Menard County, Illinois. Menard County consists of the towns and villages of Petersburg, Athens, Greenview, Oakford, Rock Creek, Tallula, Sweetwater, Fancy Praire, and Atterberry.
- Members of the Menard County Rescue Squad are all volunteers. These volunteers are dedicated to serving the citizens and visitors of Menard County. In an effort to provide the most up to date services, training, and equipment available, the squad has relied on donations and fund-raisers to support this organization.
- For more information, contact Chief Ken Brittin at 632-2062 or view our web site at www.menardrescue.com
Click on photo to visit the Rescue Squad web site
New Salem Longbeards NWTF (National Wild Turkey Federation) Chapter *
The New Salem Longbeards was begun in 1999 as the local Petersburg chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation. The chapter holds an annual Menard County NWTF Superfund Banquet on the first Saturday of March every year.
- The chapter supports outdoors activities in our area for women and youth, awards a local scholarship, supports local Hunter Safety Education classes, and provides grants for the improvement of wildlife habitat in Menard County.
- Further information on the New Salem Longbeards is available on the chapter web site at http://www.newsalemlongbeards.com , or call Doug King at 634-4160.
Click Logo To Visit Chapter Web Site
Prairie Rockets QF (Quail Forever) Chapter *
The local Prairie Rockets Chapter of Quail Forever (QF) is dedicated to the protection and enhancement of quail, pheasant and other upland wildlife through habitat improvement, public awareness, education and advocacy for sound land management policy.
- Quail Forever and Pheasant Forever members are a diversified group of hunters, non-hunters, farmers, ranchers, landowners, conservation enthusiasts and wildlife officials. QF and PF are for those who want to make a difference for wildlife by creating habitat, restoring wetlands and protecting prairies.
- The Chapter held its first banquet in 2006; the annual banquet is now regularly held on the last Saturday of January each year.
- For more information, call Aaron Kuehl at 217-635-5207. (Or email firstname.lastname@example.org )
Click Logo To Visit Chapter Web Site
Menard Archers Archery Club *
The Club's 3D Archery course is located adjacent to the west side of New Salem State Park. The Menard Archers meet on the 1st Wednesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at the range on the evening of the first Wednesday each month. (or at Gilmore's Restaurant in Winter months or during inclement weather)
The Menard Archers promote all aspects of archery and supports all types of archery tackle, including traditional recurves and longbows, hunting compounds, crossbows, and unlimited target equipment.
The club hosts multiple public 3-D shoots from February thru September. The course is set up with thirty (30) Rinehart life size animal targets.
For questions about the Menard Archers 3D Archery Club, visit http://menardarchers.com or contact President Dane Eggertson at 217-968-7388. For questions about our 30-target 3-D target course, contact Field Captain Steve Whitehurst at 217-632-4411
Click Logo To Visit The Menard Archers Archery Club Web Site
Petersburg Chamber of Commerce *
- The Petersburg IL Chamber of Commerce promotes issues and activities through the collective efforts of their members.
- The Chamber maintains a Local Events Calendar on their Chamber of Commerce web site: www.petersburgilchamber.com
- Address: P.O. Box 452, Petersburg, Illinois 62675 (physical address: 122 S. 6th St., inside Petersburg City Hall)
- Phone/Fax# 217-415-4378
Click On Logo To Visit the Petersburg Illinois Chamber of Commerce Web Site
The Kiwanis Club of Petersburg
- The Kiwanis Club of Petersburg meets every Tuesday evening at 6:30 P.M. at the Oaks B&B. Membership is by invitation only, and is open to both men and women ages 18 and older.
- The Kiwanis Year begins October 1 and runs through September 30. The club is governed by a Board of Directors who meet the first Tuesday of every month. Interesting and entertaining programs are planned for every meeting except for the first Tuesday of the month.
- The club's major fund raisers are its Pancake and Sausage Breakfasts which have been held continuously, at least once a year, since 1950.
- Our club sponsors the PORTA High School Key Club, the local Cub Scout Pack #54, and three (3) community blood drives a year.
- Anyone having questions may contact Dave Allen at the National Bank of Petersburg.
Menard County Jaycees
- The United States Junior Chamber is a constructive action organization of young persons male and female, 21-39 who devote a portion of their time to community service in the public interest, developing young persons as leaders of their community.
- The Menard County Jaycees gives young people between the ages of 21 and 39 the tools they need to build the bridges of success for themselves in the areas of business development, management skills, individual training, community service, and international connections.
- Membership meetings at The Third Berry Lincoln Tavern in Petersburg on the first Monday of every month at 730pm.
- For more information or to join call Edmund Carley @ 217-632-4252, e-mail Trianglo@msn.com, or visit www.usjaycees.org.
Rock Creek 4-H Club
- When: Second Tuesday of every month
- Time: Meeting starts at 7:00 P.M.
- Place: Rock Creek Presbyterian Church
- Anyone wanting more information should call (217) 632-3787
- Ages: 8 by Jan. 1 through 18 years old
- Motto: To Make the Best Better
Rotary Club of Greenview
When - 2nd and 4th Thursday Evenings
Where - Meeting at the Greenview Community Building
We invite you to attend.
Menard County Sportsmans Club
Menard County Sportsman's Club was founded with the purpose of promoting the activities of hunting, fishing, and trapshooting in central Illinois.
The clubhouse is located at the Menard County Fairgrounds, which is located just north of Petersburg, Illinois.
Click logo to visit web site
|Athens Memorial Post 5302
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States
- When: 2nd Tuesday of each month
- Place: Athens Masonic Lodge (across from IGA store)
- Time: Doors open at 6:15 p.m. Meeting at 7:00 p.m.
Membership eligibility requirements: Overseas service in the armed forces during a period of conflict which is recognized by the United States government. If not currently on active duty, the appropriate medal(s) for such service must be present on discharge papers (DD214).
At present our membership is comprised of World War II, Korea, Viet Nam, and Gulf War veterans. We are constantly looking for new members. If you are interested in joining our organization, please contact one of the officers above.
Our commitment is to our veterans and to our community. We "Honor the dead by helping the living".
PORTA Athletic Boosters
Purpose - to raise funds for all PORTA athletic programs.
Meetings are on the second Wednesday of each month - excluding summer - unless otherwise advertised in the Petersburg Observer.
Dues are $10.00 per year which entitles members to 5 free entries into any sports event.
We are always looking for new members and are in need of individuals who are willing to be an active member of the booster club.
IF you are interested in becoming involved call Jack Knuppel at 632-4243.
ALL ARE WELCOME!
Menard County SINGERS
We meet at St. Paul's UCC Memorial Hall
We meet every Tuesday - unless we are preparing for our fall dinner show then we meet every Tuesday and Thursday
Rachelle Frost at 634-4395
Mary Bailie at 634-4133
Sally Schafer at 632-7139
One of the best things about Singers is there are NO dues.
ALL ages are welcome.
We encourage anyone who can sing to come and join us!
MCS singing for the community!
Men's Issues ( Support Group )
We meet bi-monthly at New Salem Restaurant
Meeting starts at 6:30
We are a grouped aimed at meeting the needs of all men in Menard County. Discussions include among others:
Problems in the work place
All men 18 years and older are invited to join.
For more information call John Holmes @ 632-7662
Petersburg Chapter # 572, Order of the Eastern Star
When: Our meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month.
Time: Meeting starts at 7:30 P.M.
Place: Masonic Hall in Petersburg
Anyone wanting more information should call (217) 632-2427
Linda McCombs email
Roman Catholic Faithful, Inc.
A Not-For-Profit corp. incorporated in the state of Illinois
Members in 50 states and 9 foreign countries
Published Newsletter six times a year
Accept all people for membership regardless of religious belief
Webpage at http://www.rcf.org
Our Motto: AD MAJOREM DEI GLORIAM
Donations only --no required membership fee
For information call (217) 632-5920 - or - Fax (217) 632-7054
Tallula Parents Association
The Tallula Parents Association meets monthly at Tallula Elem. School, usually the second Tuesday of the month. We meet in the School Cafeteria (park in the back of the school and enter through the Cafeteria door) and babysitting is available if you wish to bring your children. All parents and community members are welcome.
TPA Activities throughout the year include:
Refreshments provided for the Open House in the Fall
School Directory compiled and distributed
Money for Teacher Supplies - beginning of school year
Ice Cream Sundae Party - around Thanksgiving
Baskets fof school supplies for the teachers - at Christmas
Holiday Christmas Program - Santa delivers sweets for the TPA
Sock Hop - T.P.A. provides DJ/Chaperones cafeteria - Feb./March
Teacher/Staff Appreciation - Lunch provided in May
Kite Day - T.P.A. provides kites for all children - May
School Picnic - T.P.A. Provides frozen treats
Scholarships - 1 Fall/1 Spring to a former Tallula Student
Film - Provided by the T.P.A. to capture all school events - these activities are then written about and included in the Petersburg Observer
For more information: email Michelle McWillians
Pierre Menard Chapter NSDAR
Pierre Menard Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution meets monthly, September through June, on the third Thursday or other programmed date. Objectives are Historic Preservation, Promotion of Education, and Patriotic Endeavor. The National Motto is "God, Home, and Country." Pierre Menard Chapter serves the school districts of Athens, Greenview, Havana, Midwest Central, and PORTA. Any woman eighteen years of age or older with an ancestor having documented military, civil or patriotic service during the period between April 19, 1775, and November 26, 1783, is eligible for membership. Members are available to help with geneological research.
Contact: Rebecca Wier Lock, Regent 217-632-2966
Menard County Garden Club
he Menard County Garden Club meets monthly, usually on the 4th Thursday of the month. Most meetings include an informative program on a gardening or floral decorating topic.
The club's purpose is to encourage and create a greater interest in the culture and care of plants (including shrubs and trees) and flowers; to aid in the beautifying of our homes and several communities in the county, and to cooperate with other agencies and organizations to further these objectives.
Our major fundraiser is an annual geranium sale. Ongoing community projects include maintaining the flowers at the Edgar Lee Masters Home and at the gazebo triangle at the south edge of Petersburg. Other recent projects include an herb garden contest in Athens and book donations to libraries in Athens, Petersburg, and Greenview.
New members are always welcome. Dues are $5.00 per year. For more information, please contact Betty Farr at 632-7757.
|Return to Top of Page
|Note: The * symbol next to an organizational name indicates a recently updated listing.