Welcome... To PetersburgIL.com!
PetersburgIL.com is the original web site to be focused on the historic Central-Illinois city of Petersburg, which is the county seat of Menard County, IL. Our web site has served Petersburg and the Menard County Illinois area since 1997.
Petersburg blends the old and the new into a place that is a great place to visit and a great place to call home. Petersburg and all of the other Menard County towns are close enough to Springfield Illinois to enjoy the resources of the city, yet far enough away to retain the small-town charm that draws tourists and new residents alike to our area.
Current Local Events, News, & Activities:
Winter Nature Series: Free Events Offered- The Athens State Bank and the Riverbank Lodge are again offering a Winter Nature Series of informative talks by local experts in their field. Events start at 6:30 pm in the conference room at the Riverbank Lodge, and last approximately one hour. On January 15th, Dr. Michael Wiant , Director of Dickson Mounds, presented Life on the Sangamon River 700 Years Ago. Remaining 2014 events include:
- Thursday, February 6th, Guy Sternberg, founder of Starhill Arboretum will present the second presentation in the Winter Nature series. Although Guy's main focus is on the many varieties of Oak trees, he is offering special insight into the Osage Orange (hedge) tree, which can be called the "Miracle Tree" and is arguably the most durable tree species ever.
- Thursday February 27th, local Conservation Police Officer (CPO) Kevin Bettis will explain the role and challenges of law enforcement in monitoring, educating, and enforcing laws within a variety of different areas including: wildlife, fish, boating safety, endangered species, state parks, recreational trails, and even regulating timber buyers.
Business Development Presentation: Marketing For Success- The Menard County Tourism Council and the Petersburg Chamber of Commerce will offer a workshop concerned with vital business strategies for current or prospective business owners and organizational officers. The event starts at 7:00 pm on Wednesday January 29th in the conference room at the Riverbank Lodge. Call 217-415-4378 to register. This workshop is free for all Chamber Members, and non-members are welcome to attend at a cost of $5.00. Presented by local experts in their field, topical presentation highlights include:
- Available Marketing Materials
- Social Media Strategies
- Enhancing Web Site Presence and Effectiveness
- Search Engines and Online Reviews
- Chamber of Commerce and PREP Initiatives
Harvest Fest - The 2013 Petersburg Harvest Fest was held on Friday 9/20 and Saturday 9/21. A wide variety of events and activities are featured each year in the Annual Harvest Fest event, including a large community parade! The 2013 Annual Petersburg Harvest Fest started at 5 pm on Friday night, and then continued all day on Saturday. Full details and Harvest Fest event listings are available from the Petersburg Observer newspaper!
Lake Petersburg 50th Anniversary - Sunday, September 1st was the official date for the 50th Anniversary of Lake Petersburg Celebration. (The original lake dedication ceremony was held on Labor Day, September 2nd, 1963.) Full details can be found in the Petersburg Observer newspaper.
2013 Menard County Fair - Celeynn Mayfield was crowned the 2013 Miss Menard County Fair Queen during the annual queen pageant held on the opening night of the Fair in July. First runner-up was Sierra O'Connor, and the second runner-up and winner of the People's Choice Award was Syndey Harrison. Lauren Schurman is the 2013 Junior Miss Menard, and Sophia Haddick was crowed Little Miss Menard. The 157th Annual Menard County Fair kicked off on Tuesday July 16th at the Menard County fairgrounds, and ran through Sunday, July 21st.
The 2013 Menard County Fair Special Events included a Talent Contest, Demolition Derby, Kids Activities, Antique Tractor Pull, Tractor & Truck Pull, Truck Show, and a Mud Bog & Dash for Cash. The Menard County Fair also offered a wide variety of judging competitions, food & drink items, and a carnival. Specific wrap-up details of the 2013 Menard County Fair are available online at www.menardcountyfair.com, or from the Petersburg Observer newspaper office.
Vintage Ag Association Expands - The Vintage Agriculture Association is breaking ground for their new building, which has been designed to effectively display their farm machinery collections. The building will be located along IL 97 just north of Petersburg. Not only will this be a building for meetings and association activities, but it will include static displays in the museum section, and will provide a venue for a wide variety of farm equipment demonstrations during special community events. Learn more at www.VintageAg.com
Menard Archers 2014 Public 3D Archery Event Schedule - The Menard Archers Archery Club will soon be announcing their 2014 Season outdoor archery 3D event series. The club has thirty 3D targets set up depicting realistic archery hunting scenarios at their range, which is located next to the west edge of New Salem State Park along State Park Drive. Club membership primarily is drawn from Menard and Sangamon Counties, but archers from all over the state of Illinois come to participate in their public 3D shoots. The Menard Archers currently meets on the first Wednesday of each month at 7 pm. For more information, check out the club web site at www.menardarchers.com.
Local Recording Artist Recognized - At the age of 15, Taylor June Trousdale started to perform at Fairs, Festivals, Opry's and many other venues under the name of just "Taylor June." She then joined the Illinois Country Music Association, and performed in a variety of events. In 2010, 2011, and 2012 she received "Songwriter of the Year" in the youth category, and also received an award for "Female Entertainer" in 2011 at the North American Country Music Awards International. She has recently released a new major project. You can get further details at www.TaylorJuneMusic.com, or find her music on iTunes, Reverbnation, Bluestream Records, and other national music sources. Learn More
Annual Petersburg and Menard County Events:
Harvest Fest - The Annual Petersburg Harvest Fest is held annually during mid-September. A wide variety of events and activities are featured each year in the Annual Harvest Fest, including a large community parade!
The 2012 Annual Petersburg Harvest Fest was held starting on Friday night September 14th, and continued all day Saturday September 15th.
- On Friday night, there was entertainment in the VFW beer tent from 8 pm until midnight. The Art Exhibit at the Prairie Palette Art Gallery (a Problem Solvers Project ) was also open. All day Saturday, vendors manned food and craft booths around the Square, with a "Kid's Corner" featuring multiple activities for youngsters. The VFW 21 Gun Salute was held at the Veterans Memorial at 9:30 am. Also on Saturday, the Harvest Fest Parade started at 10 am with a new route, and the Harvest Fest 5K Run was held. The Rescue Squad Pork Chop Sandwich Lunch started at 11 am, and the Menard County Historical Museum was open from 11 am - 3 pm. Throughout Saturday, visitors viewed the Vintage Ag Association Tractor Display, enjoyed a Car Show, played Bingo, and learned more about Petersburg at the Community Photos & Memorabilia booth. On Saturday Night there was live entertainment, with the Hipbone Sam Band playing from 4-7 pm, and the Seeing Daylight Band from 8-midnight.
Full details and Harvest Fest event listings are available from the Petersburg Observer newspaper!
View The 2010 Harvest Fest Photo Slide Show - 120+ photos taken around the square and during the parade! Photos of this year's event will be published in the near future - check back soon!
Tourism: For tourists and other visitors, Petersburg and Menard County are nationally known for a great antique shopping experience, as well as proximity to several historical sites such as Abe Lincoln's nearby New Salem State Park.
New Salem is the local log cabin village where Abraham Lincoln lived and worked as he prepared for his role in changing the course of our national destiny. As President (1861-1865) of the United States, Lincoln guided our country with the knowledge and wisdom that he had developed here on the banks of the Sangamon river.
For our residents, Petersburg and the surrounding area combines a vibrant business community, beautiful scenery, an excellent school system, and progressive governmental services into a great place to live and work.
Sportsmen especially appreciate the abundant wildlife and outdoor recreational opportunities at local areas such as nearby JEPC (Jim Edgar State Fish & Wildlife Area) where hiking, hunting, and fishing opportunities abound.